MEG’S CHEESE BREAD
2 scant tsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
2-1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. salt
Approximately 7-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup cubed 18-month old Fiscalini San Joaquin Cheddar Cheese*
Additional crumbled San Joaquin cheddar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add yeast and sugar to water and let stand about 5 minutes until bubbly.
3. Add salt to yeast mixture. Then 1 cup at a time add flour until no longer sticky and knead in as much flour as necessary to make dough “elastic”. Cover dough with clean dish towel and allow to rise until double in bulk for about 1 hour. Punch down and extend to form a rectangle. Spread cubed cheese and, if using seasoned cheddar, fresh chopped herbs over dough and roll up jelly roll fashion.**
4. Score the top and let rise for 30 minutes and sprinkle crumbled cheddar over top and spritz with water right before placing in the oven. Bake about 30 minutes until browned on top (use oven mitts to handle bread and lightly tap the bottom-bread is ready if it sounds hollow). Serve hot or cooled.
- same amount of Fiscalini Sage Cheddar Cheese plus 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped sage
- same amount Fiscalini’s Garlic cheddar plus 2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- same amount Fiscalini’s Dill cheddar plus 2 Tbsp. minced fresh dill
- same amount Fiscalini’s Tarragon cheddar plus 2 Tbsp. minced fresh Tarragon
**Preparing bread jelly roll fashion creates a pattern of cheese swirls and, along with the addition of herbs, gives a visually pleasing appearance. OR, you may add cheese and herbs when kneading the flour.