PIMENTO CHEESE SCONES
6 cups plus 1 ½ Tbs. all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. white pepper
2/3 cup finely diced pimento peppers
2 cups grated Fiscalini Cheddar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, chilled
2 cups cream
1 egg plus 4 yokes, lightly beaten
1. PREHEAT oven to 425⁰F.
2. COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and white pepper in a large bowl. Add pimentos and grated cheese, toss to coat.
3. GRATE butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients, using the large side of a box grater. Toss just to combine.
4. WHISK cream and egg mixture until well combined in a separate bowl. Slowly pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to combine, then let rest 10-15 minutes.
5. ROLL out the dough into a rectangle on a heavily floured table. Roll to a thickness of about 1 inch, but not thinner. Fold the dough into thirds like an envelope. Repeat rolling and folding process twice more, flouring the table as needed. Roll out dough one more time to a thickness of about ¾ inch.
6. CUT dough into desired shape and transfer to baking sheets. Most commonly, dough is cut into squares, which are then cut into triangles. This minimizes waste and avoids rerolling of scraps.
7. PLACE baking sheets in oven and immediately reduce heat to 350⁰F. Bake until scones are baked through and their tops are a light golden brown, 6-8 minutes or more, depending on size of scones.